5 new stamps honor pioneering journalists
Five American journalists were honored on postage stamps released Tuesday by the United States Postal Service.
The 42-cent stamps cover the new first-class rate that will take effect May 12.
Honored on the stamps are:
- Ruben Salazar, who chronicled the evolution of Mexican-American politics
- Martha Gellhorn, who covered the Spanish Civil War, World War II and the Vietnam War
- John Hersey, who documented the story of Hiroshima
- George Polk, a CBS radio correspondent who reported on the civil strife in Greece after World War II
- Eric Sevareid, broadcast journalist, commentator and writer, whose work influenced a generation of reporters
The stamps were dedicated at the National Press Club in recognition of the club's centennial celebration.