750th anniversary of Jelgava celebrated with a colorful stamp issue by Latvian Post
According to info received by FindYourStampsValue.com Latvian Post celebrates the 750th anniversary of the city of Jelgava with a release of a special stamp, which will be one of the symbols that identify the city this year. The issue will be presented and put into circulation at the special ceremony on the 5th of February.
Speeches during the special presentation of the stamp in the Holy Trinity Church Tower of Jelgava will be delivered by Latvijas Pasts Member of the Board Egons Strazdiņš and Jelgava City Council Chairman Andris Rāviņš.
Jelgava is a city in the central part of Latvia. The construction of the castle on the island between the rivers Driksa and Lielupe started under the leadership of Konrad von Mandern, the Grand Master of the Livonian Order, in the middle of the 13th century. The castle was constructed in 1265, which is considered to be the year when Jelgava (Mitau) was founded. Jelgava received city rights in 1573 and was the capital of the united duchies of Courland and Semigallia (later Courland Governorate) for a long time.
One of the symbols of the city is the Holy Trinity Church of Jelgava with its Tower whose construction started in 1574. The Holy Trinity Church was one of the first masonry Lutheran churches built in Europe and the first masonry building in Jelgava. During World War II, most of the city was destroyed, and the Holy Trinity Church of Jelgava was also bombed and burnt, leaving only the Tower for the needs of the military.
The Tower of the Holy Trinity Church as a national cultural monument was included in the National Heritage List in 1998. The Tower of the Holy Trinity Church was reopened after reconstruction on November 16, 2010. The Tower is home to the Tourist Information Center, historical expositions, a restaurant, an exhibition hall and a viewing platform.