Autumn Stampex 2015 is just around the corner! What to expect?
FindYourStampsValue.com hurries to inform our readers that Stampex will open its doors once more on Wednesday 16th September.
Stampex is free of charge and open to the philatelic community and indeed anyone at all interested in stamps, postal history and other related items. Come and visit this exciting philatelic show and you will be amazed by the variety of items on offer there.
Stampex is a bi-annual British stamp show held at The Business Design Centre (BDC) in Islington, London, every Spring and Autumn. The show is organized by the Philatelic Traders' Society (PTS) through their company Stampex and has been running for almost 60 years.
The show consists mainly of stands of stamp dealers who are members of the PTS but specialist philatelic societies regularly hold meetings at The BDC in conjunction with the show.
Other important parts of the show include a youth area run by the Stamp Active Network and a large stand from Britain's Royal Mail where recent British stamp issues are on sale.
There is no other regular national show competing with Stampex in the UK, although many smaller shows take place and an FIP endorsed international show takes place in London every ten years, with the next being the London 2020 International Stamp Exhibition.
The name has been adopted for stamp shows in other countries, for instance Hong Kong Stampex and Adelaide Stampex, however, none are connected with the British version.
FindYourStampsValue.com decided to interview the organisers of Autumn Stampex 2015 and ask them what the stamp collectors should expect during this philatelic show. The answers were provided by Lucie Warren – PTS Secretary & Stampex Manager.
FindYourStampsValue.com: What are the greatest challenges you have faced while organizing this show?
- There are many stand holders from across the globe to co-ordinate but we overcome this by maintaining good working relationships and communication with our members and suppliers. The venue is very familiar with this show as it has been there for such a long time.
FindYourStampsValue.com: How many philately lovers are expected to visit the Autumn Stampex 2015?
- Stampex generally welcomes around 6,500 visitors per show. We hope this will increase by encouraging younger generations to begin stamp collecting.
FindYourStampsValue.com: What plans do you have to allure more well-known stamps dealers and auctions houses, in particular from abroad?
- We have a lot of projects going on to make it easier for more international dealers to exhibit at Stampex currently. Stand hire prices are also very reasonable and entry to the show is completely free so we hope that this encourages exhibitors to take stands.
FindYourStampsValue.com: What is unusual about the Autumn Stampex 2015? Are some rare items expected?
- There is always a large variety of items to be expected from dealers and auction houses and no two shows are ever the same! Stampex always produces a souvenir Smilers Sheet for each specific show and a free postcard is available for all visitors. There are also National Exhibits on display and for this show these will be run by Great Britain Overprint Society who is also featuring a UK Regional Federations Competition.
FindYourStampsValue.com: Thank you for your answers. Hopefully, your exhibition will become more and more popular and will have a great international success.
- Thank you for featuring this much loved philatelic show. We look forward to seeing you all there!