Cathedral of St. Florin Vaduz honored with a special stamp issue by Liechtenstein Post
FindYourStampsValue.com would like to inform that Liechtenstein Post has released a special set of stamps depicting four keystones decorated with Christian symbols in the Cathedral of St. Florin in Vaduz. The "Lamb of God" (value: CHF 1.40) is to be found above the celebration altar of the cathedral while the "Pelican" (value: CHF 1.00), "Eagle" (value: CHF 1.90) and "Lion" (value: CHF 2.00) are located in the church nave. Two motifs with eight stamps each are combined on one sheet with a gutter. The issue was released on the 1st of June.
The decision to build Vaduz parish church was reached in 1868 because St. Florin chapel had become too small to meet the needs of the curacy of Vaduz. The foundation stone was laid in 1869 according to the plans of the master cathedral builder Friedrich von Schmidt from Vienna. The clearly structured church in neo- Gothic style has a hall design consisting of three naves that appear equally high. The five-sided closed choir as well as the central nave up to the gallery is located under a stellar vault, whereas the side naves are each to be found under a cross vault. The keystones of the vault in the choir and the nave, as depicted on the new special stamps, are decorated with polychrome painted symbols of Christ.
The entire realization of Vaduz parish church was rendered possible by the generous contributions of the then Prince Johann II (1840–1929), also called Prince Johann the Good. He thought it was especially important that the church had a good quality organ. The instrument, which was built according to the plans of the Liechtenstein composer Josef Gabriel Rheinberger, had not yet been completed when the church was consecrated in October 1873 and reached Vaduz with four months' delay.
At that time, the Steinmeyer organ was a remarkable instrument with impressive dimensions in the Rhine Valley. St. Florin parish church was raised to the status of a cathedral when Liechtenstein was declared an archdiocese in December 1997.