NEW RAF Squadron III stamps are to be issued by Gibraltar Post
According to info got by FindYourStampsValue.com Gibraltar Post has designed and is ready to release a set of stamps from the series "RAF Squadron III". The issue consists of three stamps that depict different squadrons. The issue is to be released on the 15thof September.
'Sarang tebuanjangen dijolok' The first RFC squadron to be formed specifically for night bombing, Formed in Norfolk in 1917 moving to France a month later. Issued with modified FE2B two-seat pushers biplanes and operations against aerodromes, railway stations and rail junctions commenced. By the end of the year, No 100 in conjunction with No 55 Squadron, RFC and Naval 'A' Squadron had formed the nucleus of what was to become the Independent Force used for the strategic bombing of Germany with its Handley Page 0/400 heavy bombers.
202 Squadron 'Semper vigilate' No 202 can trace its history back to the early days of naval aviation. It formed at Eastchurch in 1914 and flew operations against Belgian ports and anti-Zeppelin patrols. The unit was swallowed up by No 2 Wing, RNAS in June 1915, but reformed from 'B' Squadron, No 1 Wing, RNAS, on 5 November 1916 at St Pol in France with Farman F40s which were used for reconnaissance over Belgium.
Within days of the World War II starting, the unit moved to Gibraltar and took over a number of Swordfish floatplanes. Both types were involved in a series of clashes with the Vichy French Forces and these continued until 1941 when the first Catalinas arrived. After participating in the invasion of North Africa in the autumn of 1942, the unit moved to Northern Ireland for anti-submarine patrols over the Atlantic before disbanding in 1945.
208 Squadron 'Vigilant' Formed as Number 8 (Naval) Squadron in 1916 at Dunkirk, the unit was immediately passed to RFC control and flew Pups, 1 1/2-Strutters and Nieuport Scouts on a variety of missions. During 1917, the unit re-equipped with Sopwith Triplanes and then Camels and began concentrating its efforts on artillery on artillery spotting. After a period of relative calm in the UK, the unit returned to France just in time for the German offensive of during spring 1918, and became No 208 Squadron, RAF on 1 April 1918. The Squadron reformed in Egypt in 1920 with RE8s and then Bristol Fighters. Shortly before the outbreak of World War II, the unit converted to Lysanders.
233 Squadron 'Fortis et fidelis' No. 233 Squadron RAF operated from 1918–1919, 1937–1945, 1952–1957 and 1960–1964. It was formed from several Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) flights and took part in the tail end of World War I before being disbanded. The squadron was reformed with the advent of World War II. Shortly after World War II the squadron was again disbanded, to be reformed once more in 1960. No. 233 Squadron was finally disbanded in 1964.