Technical Monuments – new stamp issue by Czech Post
FindYourStampsValue.com is glad to inform that Czech Post is to release a special stamp celebrating the 130th anniversary of the Moldava-Saxony Connection Railway. The stamp depicts a construction train with the Louny engine at the railway station in Dubí (formerly Ober-Eichwald). Designer A. Absolon used an 1884 photograph as the basis for his design. The item is to be put into circulation on the 5th of May.
The Moldava Railway, also known as Ore Mountains Railway or Teplice Semmering, is a railway connecting Most and Moldava in the Ore Mountains. It used to connect Moldava with Freiberg in Saxony. Although it lost its international significance, it continues to belong to the most beautiful local railways in the Czech Republic.
Between individual stations the train passes through a couple of tunnels and crosses a valley on the third viaduct on the route. The steel structure of the 117-metre-long bridge is supported by 31-metre-high brick pillars.
Construction of a railway of such parameters was technically and financially demanding. Although the times when fast trains from Prague travelled on the railway and continued further from Moldava on their way to Saxony are gone, less traffic does not detract anything from the beauty of this romantic railway.
There is no shortage of attractive views on the forty-kilometres-long route. The railcar stops at the railway station in Louka u Litvínova, a place of intense fighting during the occupation of the borderlands by the Czechoslovak army in the late 1918; the events are commemorated with a plaque on the station building.
The railway was built by Prague-Duchcov Railway Company whose main objective was to enable coal exports to the neighboring Saxony. Although the first projects to connect the Most coal basin to Saxony originated as early as the 1860s, the construction was delayed due to financial and technical difficulties. The Most-Hrob section was opened on 15 May 1877; the Hrob-Moldava section had to wait until 6 December 1884. The cross-border connection line to Freiberg in Saxony was opened on 18 May 1885.